Subject: Re: Proposal
From: Matt Pierce <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (amos list)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 8:47:05 PDT

> 
> 
> 
> On Tue, 26 Jul 1994, Dominic Ramsey wrote:
> 
> > >   By "official", I mean "the version produced by a team of experienced
> > > programmers which everyone should use to maintain compatibility".
> >                              ^^^^^^
> > 
> > `Should' being the operative word. There is nothing to stop ANYONE else
> > setting up a similar group, releasing incompatible versions of AMOS.
> > This is where some kind of backing from Europress would be very useful,
> > even if it is just a mention in their doc files, when they release the
> > source code, with an address for the `Official AMOS Product Development
> > Team'.
> 
> Sure thing.  I could imagine some 'shadow' organization trying to pull it 
> off - of course it'd cost $150 upon release...  he he..
> 
> I really doubt Eurpress gives 2 cr*ps about AMOS anymore.  However, I see 
> your perspective.
> 
> > Also, lots of assembler programmers working on different aspects of one
> > program is bound to lead to problems. 

One assembler programmer working on a large project is more likely to 
experience more problems than a bunch of them.  The reason for this is
that he/she doesn't have the variety of knowledge and experience that
a group would have and have anyone who knows the project to bounce ideas
off of.  Just look at all the side effects and inconsistencies that are
present in Amos and you will see that things weren't done in the best 
way that they could have been always.  The interface language especially
comes to mind - it is not logically designed - and at the time I started
learning it I wondered what world the programmers who wrote it were in -
well I now know it was done by one guy and understand why it is the way
it is.

                                           The Main Development Team for
> > AMOS Pro consisted of one main assembly programmer (Franois), and
> > eleven AMOS enthusiasts. 

But AMOS enthusiasts can only make suggestions unless they know about the
inner-workings of AMOS and can at least read assembly code.

                             Richard Vanner would ask us all what we wanted
> > to see in AMOS Pro, he would tell Franois, and Franois would go off
> > and do whatever he wanted! The system worked perfectly!

Well, except for all those darn bugs, inefficient algorithms, design
flaws, inconsistencies, side effects, and bizzare implementations. 

> > (Well, 97% perfectly according to Amiga Format and CU Amiga)
> > 

Matt Pierce